Saturday, August 20, 2011

My New Big Green Egg

I finally decided to go ahead and buy a Big Green Egg. For years I have heard how wonderful these cookers were and kept putting of the purchase due to the price.

These cookers aren't cheap. I purchased the large model for $789 from Outdoor Living Center in Covington, La. That price only included the cooker, but I added a plate setter (for indirect grilling), a 20 lb. bag of BGE lump charcoal, BGE fire starters and a bag of mesquite for smoking. The total was a little under $1000 with tax.

The BGE is heavy. My version weighs approximately 140 lbs. Luckily I have a truck. Once home I watched the DVD that came with the egg. The DVD contained lots of good information including an excellent tutorial in assembly. It took about 30 minutes to assemble, but most of that time was spent going in and out to re-watch the DVD and searching for tools.

I built a temporary home for my egg with four cinder blocks and an 18" patio stone. Several stands and nests (rolling stand) were available, but since I will be building an outdoor kitchen, I opted for the cheap temporary kind.

Future posts will detail my cooking experience and any useful knowledge I gain.

Here is my BGE on the homemade and temporary stand. In the background is my worn out Char Broil grill.



No comments:

Post a Comment